Did you know that hormones and hair are closely linked? The different amounts of hormones that our bodies produce at various stages in our lives - puberty, pregnancy, and post-menopause - can all affect how and where hair grows.
Many women experience changes in their bodies after menopause - when women stop having regular periods. Menopause most often starts to kick in after 45 and is accompanied by many symptoms such as hot flashes and other changes.
More than half of post-menopausal women notice a significant difference in hair loss. Here’s the science behind why this happens and what you can do about it.
What Is Post Menopausal Hair Loss?
Postmenopausal hair loss changes your hair's ‘normal’ growth pattern.
Regular hair fall is estimated at around 100 hairs every day - they’ll shed during everyday activities such as washing and brushing. A healthy hair growth cycle means that you never lose too much hair at once and that your hair stays the same density and thickness.
However, postmenopausal hair loss happens faster than your hair can replenish itself and causes an imbalance in your hair growth cycle. One sign that your hair is falling out more quickly than average is that your ponytail feels thinner than usual.
You might also notice that your hairbrush fills up faster with clumps of hair rather than the few strands that fall daily. Or, while combing conditioner through your hair, more hair seems to be falling out than before.
Another sign of menopause affecting your hair is a visible thinning of hair at your scalp - your scalp may be more visible through your hair, and a lower density of hair causes a natural loss of volume.
However, one surprising part of your body that is also affected by menopause are your eyebrows! If your brows look thinner and sparser than they used to, that could be another tell-tale sign of menopause.
So what causes these changes in hair growth, and can it be minimised? First, we’ve got to understand the causes of this type of hair loss.
Why Does Post-Menopausal Hair Loss Happen?
There are multiple causes of hair loss at this age, and we’ve rounded up some that might be the primary cause of your changing hair density!
1. Falling Estrogen Levels
The number one reason for changes in your hair growth is your hormone levels! Estrogen, often called the female hormone, helps manage hair growth and keeps your locks feeling full and silky. As the natural levels of this hormone decrease over time, especially after menopause, hair naturally falls faster and loses density over time.
2. Female Pattern Hair Loss (Hereditary)
Another common reason for thinning hair at this age is female pattern hair loss. Instead of being caused by hormones, this type of hair loss is hereditary - aka, it’s passed to you from your parents. It doesn’t appear as early as male pattern baldness but can affect up to 40% of women by the time they are 50 years old.
Another simple explanation is age. Hair tends to thin out with age - regardless of gender - so your hair appearing thinner and less dense than it used to be could simply be caused by the natural ageing process. This happens as hair follicles stop producing new hairs, leading to thinner and thinner hair as time passes.
Best Solutions for Post-Menopausal Hair Loss
So, now that you know what causes hair loss after menopause, what can be done about it? Is post-menopausal hair loss reversible?
When it comes to supporting your hair growth, it’s essential to take care of your hair from root to tip. Here are our best tips for managing hair loss after menopause!
1. Hair Vitamins
Correctly formulated hair vitamins help support hair growth, increasing the strength of your hair and reducing breakage. As they can support longer, stronger hair growth straight from the root, hair vitamins are critical for ensuring healthy hair growth. Antioxidants help fortify follicles from the root while biotin and other vitamins are ideal for speeding up the hair growth process. UKLASH OMG! Hair Vitamins has all of these ingredients and more for thicker, more luscious hair in six months.
2. Hair Treatments
Hair treatments like the UKLASH Hair Growth Serum are designed to encourage growth at the scalp can go a long way to thicken hair, providing more volume and density. Supporting hair growth at the roots reduces excessive hair loss for thicker, longer hair. Applied to hair once daily, hair serums are ideal for promoting hair growth for fuller hair again!
3. No Heat Styling
Keeping hair healthy from root to tip is crucial for preventing hair loss - so avoiding excess heat styling is a must for making sure your hair is as healthy as possible! Heat styling can cause brittleness and dryness, causing hair to break and snap. This makes hair less dense as any length is lost!
4. Eyebrow Serums
Another proven method of bringing thinning eyebrows back to life is regular use of an eyebrow serum, such as UKBROW. It’s conveniently formulated with a brush applicator to nourish existing brows from root to tip, helping to thicken existing brow hairs and support new growth for fuller eyebrows!
Where to Shop Best Products for Postmenopausal Hair Loss
Now that you know how menopause causes hair loss and the best tips for managing it, the next question is where to buy the best products for post-menopausal hair loss. That’s an easy answer - right here at UKLASH!
Women around the globe love our hair growth support products. We have +40 000 of testimonials for how well our lash serums and hair serums have encouraged lash and hair growth, not just restoring healthy hair but confidence, too. Bring your hair back to its youthful, full glory with only the best in hair supplements from UKLASH!
- In a world where the desire for luscious lashes is undeniable, lash serums have emerged as a game-changer, offering a solution for those who crave the allure of length without...
- Out of all the possible Black Friday beauty deals you could score this season, our beauty bundles available at UKLASH are what you should have your eyes on this season. ...
- Are you tired of battling those stubborn black circles that linger beneath your eyes, no matter how much sleep you get? If you’re wondering how to cover dark circles, look...
- Your eyebrows are a defining feature of your face, capable of enhancing your natural beauty and boosting your self-confidence. Well-shaped eyebrows can do wonders in framing your eyes and balancing...
- Eyebrows play a pivotal role in framing the face and expressing one's individuality. However, many of us have experienced the all-too-familiar mishap of over-plucking, waxing gone wrong, or even the...
- Introducing your ultimate guide for our UKLASH customers for debunking myths and uncovering the truth behind your favourite beauty and self-care products. In the age of social media, it's easy...
- So, you wish your eyebrows were thicker and shaped perfectly? Well, if you’re looking for how to get thicker eyebrows, you’ve come to the right place. You can include UKLASH...
- The trend cycle of eyebrows is one of varying extremes, from pencil-thin brows to fluffy brows and beyond, one thing always stays the same; healthy eyebrows will always be in...