When October rolls around, it can bring up different feelings for us all — Some of us wear pink, while some observe from afar. Some of us are grieving, while some feel misunderstood and alone. Here at UKLASH, we want to normalize all these feelings. So, here’s what you should know about Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
What is Breast Cancer Awareness Month?
Held in October each year, Breast Cancer Awareness Month was created in 1985 to promote the prevention of the disease, which believe it or not, will affect one out of eight women every year and 2.3 million women worldwide.
This important month is signified by the colour pink and features a number of programs and campaigns. These are usually conducted by groups ranging from local communities to retailers, organisations and more, with the goal of uplifting and supporting:
- Education of breast cancer risk factors
- Supporting people diagnosed with breast cancer
- Stressing the importance of regular screening
- Breast cancer research fundraising
If you or a family member are currently undergoing Chemotherapy, hair loss can be a common side effect of this process.
If you need more information on how to grow hair back after Chemo, head to our Blog to learn about Annie's story on ‘Growing eyelashes after Chemo with UKLASH’.
Do you support Breast Cancer Awareness Month?
Even though many feel included and seen by the events this month, it's safe to say that the pink merchandise, events and activities have caused many people, especially those diagnosed with Metastatic Breast Cancer, to intensely dislike Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
It's easy to see why, when the pink ribbons and celebratory vibe can seem like a distraction from reality.
However, we can't deny the good Breast Cancer Awareness Month has done for raising funds, demanding research and uplifting voices.
Symptoms of Breast Cancer you should look out for
A noticeable symptom of Breast Cancer to look out for is breast lumps. While not all breast lumps are cancerous, you should still have them checked out by a doctor.
You should also see your GP if you notice any of the following:
- Thickened tissue or a new lump
- Changes in the sizes of one/both breasts
- Discharge from the nipple
- Swelling or lumps in the armpit
- A change in the look/feel of the skin - dimpling, rashes, redness or puckering
- Crusting, itchy skin or redness around the nipple
- Changes in the nipple, like it becoming sunken into the breast.
If you notice any of these symptoms, dont hesitate to book a Doctors appointment, even if you feel silly. What matters is your health and every GP understands that and wants the best for you.
Why you need to consider a Breast Cancer Screening
An annual exam at your Doctor’s, breast self-exams and yearly mammograms are important tools in breast cancer detection. Especially early detection.
Want to learn how to self-exam properly, click here for more.
What can I do this Breast Cancer Awareness Month?
- View medically reviewed content
- Join community discussions to connect with others
- Support breast cancer organizations
- Donate to local causes
- Offer support to those in need/ talk to a trusted person
Self-Care = Self-Worth
Why not treat yourself or a loved one to something that will brighten your or their day? We have you covered, right here at UKLASH!
We have +40,000 testimonials from around the globe for our lash serums, brow serums, and hair serums and how they have encouraged hair, lash and eyebrow growth. Not only restoring healthy hair but more importantly, your confidence too.
Refresh your hair with the best in hair supplements from UKLASH!
- In a world where the desire for luscious lashes is undeniable, lash serums have emerged as a game-changer, offering a solution for those who crave the allure of length without...
- Out of all the possible Black Friday beauty deals you could score this season, our beauty bundles available at UKLASH are what you should have your eyes on this season. ...
- Are you tired of battling those stubborn black circles that linger beneath your eyes, no matter how much sleep you get? If you’re wondering how to cover dark circles, look...
- Your eyebrows are a defining feature of your face, capable of enhancing your natural beauty and boosting your self-confidence. Well-shaped eyebrows can do wonders in framing your eyes and balancing...
- Eyebrows play a pivotal role in framing the face and expressing one's individuality. However, many of us have experienced the all-too-familiar mishap of over-plucking, waxing gone wrong, or even the...
- Introducing your ultimate guide for our UKLASH customers for debunking myths and uncovering the truth behind your favourite beauty and self-care products. In the age of social media, it's easy...
- So, you wish your eyebrows were thicker and shaped perfectly? Well, if you’re looking for how to get thicker eyebrows, you’ve come to the right place. You can include UKLASH...
- The trend cycle of eyebrows is one of varying extremes, from pencil-thin brows to fluffy brows and beyond, one thing always stays the same; healthy eyebrows will always be in...