A cancer diagnosis is never easy to receive - and often opens the floodgates to feelings of uncertainty and unanswered questions. Will I be alright? How will I tell my family? Is my hair going to fall out? What about my brows and lashes?
While discussing appearances in light of a cancer diagnosis can seem trivial, speaking openly about all aspects - even the cosmetic kind - of returning to life as usual after a cancer recovery should be normalised. It opens doors to which products are essential during and after treatment and can alleviate the fear of wondering how one might look during and after completing treatment.
Does UKLASH Eyelash Serum Help During Cancer Treatment?
UKLASH was recently contacted by a truly remarkable and brave customer who made our lash growth serum part of her beauty routine before, during, and after treatment. Annie was more than happy to share her story with us at UKLASH.
Diagnosed with triple-negative grade 3 breast cancer - with no family history - at the age of 32, the outlook seemed bleak. “It was quite a shock,” Annie says about her diagnosis. However, she took treatment in her stride and completed her cancer treatment and is now cancer-free - and brought her lashes back to life with UKLASH Eyelash Serum.
How Does Cancer Treatment Affect Eyelash Growth?
Because conventional cancer treatments target rapidly multiplying cells, hair follicles often fall into the line of fire. This includes all hair follicles anywhere on the body - and eyelashes are no exception.
Typically, eyelashes fall out within two months of starting treatment and can take up to four months after completing treatment to grow back - and that’s without the help of eyelash serum.
Do Eyelashes Fall out During Cancer Treatment?
It’s no secret that cancer therapy is incredibly tough on the body. Depending on the type of cancer, most patients undergo a combination of surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy to treat it. Each of these can take its toll on the body, leading to intense side effects for the duration of treatment.
While hair loss is a relatively mild side effect of chemotherapy compared to intense nausea, low blood cell count, and extreme fatigue, it’s a noticeable side effect that many cancer patients can feel self-conscious about. That’s because it affects hair everywhere, including eyebrows and eyelashes!
Annie was primarily treated with chemotherapy, which can leave one reeling with side effects. After all, it’s a treatment designed to banish cancerous cells from the body - but Annie soldiered through.
“I’d used [UKLASH Eyelash Serum] before I’d had cancer and had chemo… And it made my eyelashes so long that loads of my friends thought I was wearing falsies, which was fantastic,” she says about her pre-chemo eyelashes. No wonder many say that UKLASH is the best eyelash serum for growth!
Unfortunately, all of her lashes did fall out as a side effect of cancer treatment, and she temporarily paused using UKLASH Eyelash Serum. “I didn't lose my eyelashes until 15 weeks into chemotherapy, and I think UKLASH helped with that, so I'd encourage people to use it before and during treatment,” she suggests.
Considering the typical time it takes for lashes to fall out after starting treatment is just eight weeks, we also credit UKLASH Eyelash Serum for supporting Annie’s natural lashes for as long as possible!
After completing treatment, she started using UKLASH again. “My eyelashes started to grow back about three weeks after stopping chemo, and I started using it daily again when I had eyelash stubble,” she says. This was crucial in bringing her lashes back to total health - some patients find that their lashes never return to how they looked before their diagnosis.
“They’re really thick, really long, I’ve got no gaps, they’re nice and full which I know a lot of people really struggle with after chemo,” she says, thrilled with the progress that she’s made with UKLASH Eyelash Serum.
The benefits of using an Eyelash Serum to support lash growth after chemotherapy is well-documented - a study on breast cancer patients found that eyelash serums have proven benefits to boost eyelash growth and restore confidence and dignity in cancer patients.
We extend our heartfelt thanks to Annie for sharing her journey with us and we are so happy to have been part of her story. We would love for any other members of our beautiful community to share their similar experiences and journeys with UKLASH Serum!
See Annies video testimonial below
- In a world where the desire for luscious lashes is undeniable, lash serums have emerged as a game-changer, offering a solution for those who crave the allure of length without...
- Out of all the possible Black Friday beauty deals you could score this season, our beauty bundles available at UKLASH are what you should have your eyes on this season. ...
- Are you tired of battling those stubborn black circles that linger beneath your eyes, no matter how much sleep you get? If you’re wondering how to cover dark circles, look...
- Your eyebrows are a defining feature of your face, capable of enhancing your natural beauty and boosting your self-confidence. Well-shaped eyebrows can do wonders in framing your eyes and balancing...
- Eyebrows play a pivotal role in framing the face and expressing one's individuality. However, many of us have experienced the all-too-familiar mishap of over-plucking, waxing gone wrong, or even the...
- Introducing your ultimate guide for our UKLASH customers for debunking myths and uncovering the truth behind your favourite beauty and self-care products. In the age of social media, it's easy...
- So, you wish your eyebrows were thicker and shaped perfectly? Well, if you’re looking for how to get thicker eyebrows, you’ve come to the right place. You can include UKLASH...
- The trend cycle of eyebrows is one of varying extremes, from pencil-thin brows to fluffy brows and beyond, one thing always stays the same; healthy eyebrows will always be in...